Creatine Kinase, Total (CK)
5-7 Business Days
Test for myocardial infarction and skeletal muscle damage. Elevated results may be due to: myocarditis, myocardial infarction (heart attack), muscular dystrophy, muscle trauma, strenuous exercise, alcohol abuse, taking certain medicines or supplements, thyroid problems, or kidney failure.
A CK test may be ordered for the following reasons:
• Whenever muscle damage is suspected, and at regular intervals to monitor for continued damage;
• A person has chest pain and a heart attack is suspected, or after a heart attack to monitor ongoing heart damage;
• When someone has experienced physical trauma, such as crushing injuries or extensive burns;
• A person has symptoms associated with muscle injury, such as muscle pain or weakness; and
• When a person has nonspecific symptom – especially when taking a drug or after an exposure to a substance that has been linked to potential muscle damage.
Note: Result turnaround times are an estimate and are not guaranteed. Our reference lab may need additional time due to weather, holidays, confirmation/repeat testing, or equipment maintenance.